Pages

GED 512 Blogs

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Journal #7: Professional Learning Networks



At the beginning of the course, I joined two affinity groups: The Synapse, a group for biology teachers, and the AP Biology Community, a site for AP biology teachers which is run through the College Board.  I didn’t find The Synapse PLN very useful.  I did get a response to the question I posted, but only one and there hasn’t been any activity on the site since then.  As for the AP Bio PLN, there has been activity but nothing of value for myself.  Most posts are asking questions about things I either know or that just don’t pertain to me or my class.  I think the idea of the PLN is great, but it is very time consuming and I think I would only go there if I had a question or needed something.

I really enjoyed my Digg reader however.  I would find myself reading articles when I had some free time instead of playing candy crush on my phone!  I found some interesting articles and videos that I have saved for my AP Biology class.  I also subscribe to some of the feeds through twitter but I find the Digg reader easier to use and more convenient because all of the articles are there in one place. 

I will definitely use my Digg reader in the future.  I will continue gathering recent articles from my Digg reader to use in class.  With common core right around the corner, it is important to expose our students to current, informative articles. Personally, I would like to use the articles not only as a teaching tool, but also to show my students that what they are learning is relevant after high school.  They may not use it in their future, but someone will, and it will affect the world and their lives in some form or fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment